There can’t be many people who are not filled with dread at the prospect of having to get up in front of a roomful of people and give a presentation. For me it was one of the most daunting parts to becoming a photographer, knowing that I would have to get up in front of an audience and justify my work. Legs go to jelly, cold sweats, feeling like I want to be swallowed up, I think that everyone can identify with this to some extent.
Paul Smith gave us a great lecture today on how to get into the habit of giving a good presentation and I came away from today’s session feeling that I had learnt something that will stay with me throughout my career.
A few Key points for that all important pitch :
- Define Purpose – why /what you are talking about. Introduce yourself
- Keep PowerPoint presentations concise and relevant – Use bullet points
- Use a confident tone of voice and engage with the audience
- Preparation is key, Spend time on research
- And most importantly, take time to rehearse, and then rehearse some more
A short You Tube video for those of you who would like to know how to present like Steve Jobs …
Watch this space for future presentations given by me!